Brian Duncan, Northern Ireland

N.radinganorum

January 8, 2008

Categories: Daffodil Types, Species

Hello Paul,
Attached are three pictures of N. radinganorum, reputedly so named because a botanist from Reading Univ. in England was with the Spanish botanists when they found it in the wild. These pictures were taken last March.
N.radinganorum is like many of the smaller yellow trumpets but it is reputedly characterised by the distinctly 6-lobed corona – but as you will see from the pic. with two flowers that this is not always a reliable feature. It is rather more slender and refined in build than most N.hisp. bujei and I thought it might have breeding possibilities – that lobing in the corona could be most attractive and who knows what might result if it were crossed with some of the lobe-cupped jonquils?
Anyway, if you have a chance to get seed I’d take it, but don’t expect to win to many Blue Ribbons !
I hope this helps.
Brian

6 responses to “N.radinganorum”

1. Ben Zonneveld says:

Hello Folks
    Here my results I measured nulcear DNA content in three forms of N radinganorum from three different localities ( one from J. Blanchard , one from D. Donnison N pseudonarciisus ( ssp eugeniae?) The fourth one turned out to be hexaploid (from J Grisham). Al least these four had nothing to do to N bujei

2. Brian Duncan, Northern Ireland Brian Duncan says:

Hello Mr Zonneveld,
    I was aware that John Blanchard had been co-operating with you in this work.
    I am not quite sure what you meant by your message. Is it that N. radinganorum is the same as N. pseudo. eugeniae and very distinct from N. hisp. bujei?
    I have not seen N. eugeniae in the wild – last march JWB and I were heading for Valdelinares (I understand it is the classic site) but a snowstorm turned us back. Well, I have seen what Derrick D-Morgan called N. eugeniae at Garballa, but I was not convinced – based only on photographs and descriptions by other species hunter friends and the cliff-like site and longish stems, which seemed so different to what I would have expected at Valdinlinaires.
    Alas, we have so much to learn and so much more nuclear DNA work needs to be done to sort out the many conundrums.
    Thanks for your response.
    Brian Duncan

3. Kathy Andersen says:

I believe that the site location for N. eugeniae (or N. pseudo eugeniae) is Montcayo, a tall solitary mountain between Soria and Zaragoza.  The plants grow above a monastery out of rocky pockets on well-drained ledges.  Definitely cliff-like to approach.  It took us many trips to Montcayo to find them.  Stems are not overly long.  The N. eugeniae at Valdelinares grow on gently sloping meadows in great profusion.  Stems of these are somewhat shorter.  As I recall, N. radinganorum pictured on this forum looks nothing like N. eugeniae from either of these two locations.  N. eugeniae is more robust with  broader, more overlapping petals.  N. bujei looks nothing like either of the other two.

Kathy Andersen

Phoenixville, Pennsylvania

4. Wendy Akers says:

Message text written by “Kathy Andersen” robust with broader, more overlapping petals. N. bujei looks nothing like either of the other two.< Also Narcissus bujei is an hispanicus form which has apical spots on its anthers, which as far as I know (I will look when it flowers)N. radingonurum does not. James Akers

5. Ben Zonneveld says:

As is often the case with Fernades Casas he often seems to change his mind
    According to Fernandes Casas in Anal. Jard. Bot. Madrid 43: 463 (1987) his N radinganorum Fern. Casas  (Fontqueria 6:41, 1984) is identical to N eugeniae Fern. Casas (Fontqueria 1: 11, 1982).

title=
    Institute of Molecular Plant Sciences
    Clusius laboratory
    PBox 9505
    2300RA Leiden
    The Netherlands

6. David Liedlich says:

Poor Linnaeus is rolling over in the grave.  I do appreciate the update though.

Thank you.