Piggy Award

January 26, 2008

Categories: Show Prep and Exhibiting, Shows

In a message dated 1/26/2008 3:40:10 PM Eastern Standard Time, writes:

Bill Lee introduced it as the “Piggy” award a few years ago.

Not my term, Clay. I think it has been called that in our region for a very long time. Probably not just in our region.
Bill Lee

Who’s never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music.

7 responses to “Piggy Award”

1. Becky Fox Matthews, Tennessee Becky Fox Matthews says:

I hadn’t heard this Piggy Award term, but I love it! I’ve earned it once, but mainly because I love to throw the flowers in the show so everyone can see all the great daffs that are out there!
    I have all my daffs on an Excel spreadsheet. I have columns for division, color code, cup color, season, height, breeder, country of origin, source, year planted, location, notes (fertility and other info), and a special Code column for Mini, Intermediate, Species or Historic. My time is limited for show preparation, but as I pick flowers, I try to mark them on my spreadsheet and them copy them to a new file. Like Clay I try to denote how many good blooms I have of each. This allows me to then do a quick computer sort by division, color code or cup color, country of origin, and by my special Code column that will separate them into Mini, Intermediate, Historic, Species. With these sorts printed I can choose which collections I wish to enter. I am very slow at staging, so haven’t ever attempted much over collections of 5, except for a couple of larger miniature collections, since I really love the minis. Anyway, that’s my method. Usually when I get a few collections in, I start to “throw” in vases of three and then single stem entries.
    Becky Fox Matthews that daffy girl near Nashville

2. Bill Lee says:

In a message dated 1/26/2008 10:48:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,  title= writes:

I have all my daffs on an Excel spreadsheet.

If you copy and paste the data lines for each daffodil you have picked for show, it is an easy matter to then use the data as the source of a mail merge to create the little labels that have to go on each individual stem in a collection. All that recordkeeping in the staging phase is what really wears me out, so not having to rewrite every little bit of data on every stem I enter makes it much more pleasant for me.
    Bill Lee

Who’s never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music.

3. Clay Higgins says:

Becky and Bill,
    I’ve worked on computers since the 1960’s when all the work was done on punch cards and programming was on wafer boards, however, to this day, I’m still a hard copy, manual person. I work for company that supplies computers systems to Government for 25 years. Every thing is “soft” copy but me. I still have to send it to the printer and review it with my “red” ink pin.
    Maybe when I grow up I’ll start using the computer.
    Clay Clay E. Higgins (240) 632-0002 cell (301) 814-4206  title=

4. Wendy Akers says:

Message text written by “Clay Higgins”
    You forgot to say “and everything had to be converted into octal”. I was there too.
    Jamrs Akers

5. Edith Godfrey says:

Elise, Not just base 12, but base 2 and base 7 as well. Fortran, Cobol, key to tape, punch cards, Grace Hopper, the $64,000 Question. . . Edie Godfrey Minnesota We are above freezing today and tomorrow but then we go back below zero F. quickly on Tuesday. Great for the St. Paul Winter Carnival. One of our DSM member’s husband was part of the winning team for the snow sculpture this year. It was almost cancelled but they found sponsors at the last minute. Huge blocks of snow carved into a squirrel, walleye, robot (1st place winner), treehouse, covered wagon, rigged sailing ship, birdcage and more. Pictures should be on the web site shortly. I got to see them about half-way along yesterday, but my toes got cold.

6. Richard and Elise Havens says:

James and Clay,
    What! not hexadecimal! I actually learned to add and subtract in that, back in the 60’s. (Please do not ask me to do it now!)
    really old programmer, turned hybridizer, Elise

7. Wendy Akers says: