Whetstone Park-Bulb Theft

June 4, 2008

Category: General

In a message dated 6/4/2008 10:31:33 AM Eastern Standard Time, writes:

Phyllis, what a shame that the garden at Whetstone is no more.  It was 1974 when we first planted daffodils there.  Even worse is knowing that people were stealing the bulbs!  What a shame.

I suspect that this is a function of reduced budgets and the lack of employees on the grounds. It would be surprising if this is not happening in public gardens all over the country.
Bill Lee

Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch “Cooking with Tyler Florence” on AOL Food.

4 responses to “Whetstone Park-Bulb Theft”

1. Naomi Liggett says:

One problem was the garden was enclosed with a high taxus hedge making it not visible to most park visitors.  The hedge looked good and I am sure helped protect the daffodils from the elements.  The diggers probably came after park workers had gone home – say dusk.  The garden started with one bed of about 125 cultivars – 3 each. At it’s peak it contained more than 1500 cultivars.  It was rather sad when Donna and I dug the last clump but again after 34 years also a relief it was over.  The weeds were a great problem that couldn’t seem to be solved and with our aging membership impossible to keep clean by digging.

Naomi

2. Donna Dietsch says:
    It was actually 36 years, because at the 1992 convention it had been 20.  We had that on the brochure of cultivars that was made for the convention.  I still have a copy.
    My knees are 36 years older, and so is my back.
    Donna
     title= wrote:

Naomi

3. Mary Lou Gripshover, Ohio Mary Lou Gripshover says:

Sorry, Donna.  It was in 1974, when Ruth Pardue was working with Mr. Hollenbeck of the city parks department.  I have the all the CODS newsletters.  I guess we fudged it a little on the convention brochure.

Mary Lou

4. Donna Dietsch says:
    Mary Lou!  I am shocked!!  And all these years no one owned up to the fudging.Oh well – 34 years then.  I joined CODS in ’77.
    Donna