Jaydee Ager, Georgia

a list of Classic Daffodils?

January 23, 2012

Categories: Classics, Daffodil Types, General, Historics, Publications and Resources

A member has asked me if ADS has a list of Classic Daffodils. Please reply
to Daffnet so all can benefit from the responses.

Cordially,

Jaydee Atkins Ager

Executive Director

PO BX 522 Hawkinsville, GA 31036-0522

The American Daffodil Society, Inc.

www.daffodilusa.org http://www.daffodilusa.org/
www.daffodilusastore.org http://www.daffodilusastore.org/
www.daffseek.org http://www.daffseek.org/

8 responses to “a list of Classic Daffodils?”

1. Loyce McKenzie, Mississippi Loyce McKenzie says:

This is a working list, compiled by the efforts of the original Classics committee, before the fall board meeting. Several of the members who read about its availability in the December Journal
    emailed me back that I’d overlooked some of their favorites, and they have been added.
    If you find others that fit the time period, 1940-1969, and you have reason to believe they are commercially available, please let me know so they can be added.
    I hope that an annotated list will be available by the time of the Baltimore convention, primarily for those who choose to attend one of the sessions of the seminar on “Getting Started with the
    Classics,” which has commercial sources listed, formatted much like the Wister listing on Daffnet.
    Meanwhile, I think this list will be a shortcut for exhibitors wanting to enter this new section,and for judges. If it’s here, it’s legal. But if it’s not, and it’s in an entry, check it out in the various “last word” sources.

Loyce McKenzie

—-

2. Mary Lou Gripshover, Ohio Mary Lou Gripshover says:

I didn’t know there was a “list.” I thought any standard daffodils registered between 1940 and 1969 were, by definition establishing the Award, Classic Daffodils.

Mary Lou

3. Ethel Smith, Minnesota Ethel Smith says:

I agree with Mary Lou – aren’t all standard daffodils registered from
    1940-1969 considered Classic? Ethel Smith in MN

4. Nancy Tackett, California Nancy Tackett says:

If you would like to send Daffnet a document, please first convert it
    to a PDF and send the PDF. Daffnet does not pass .doc files due to
    the strong possibility of embedded viruses.

Many Thanks,

Nancy Tackett

5. Brad Weaver says:

Thanks for the list. Although I’m just a college student, my goal is to have as many historic daffodils as possible growing on our family farm in north georgia.
    I’ve got a long way to go.

Brad Weaver
    Dawsonville, GA

6. Phyllis Hess says:

What a wonderful ambition! Good luck to you; I am sure there are those on this list server who would be happy to help you with some bulbs if you would pay the postage.
    Phyllis Hess

7. Brad Weaver says:

I would be more than glad to pay postage of anyone who wanted to share historic daffodils.
    Brad

8. Nancy Tackett, California Nancy Tackett says:

Brad,

There are two sources for a list of ADS Historic-

First, the ADS has a viewable list and printable list at this link:

The Second source is DaffSeek, http://daffseek.org/ and on the right, click on the “Special Classes”. Click on the Historics box under American Daffodil Society.

Hope this helps,