Greg Freeman, South Carolina

The Daffodil Journal, June 2014

May 29, 2014

Categories: American Daffodil Society, Daffodil Enthusiasts, General, Publications and Resources

Wow! I am blown away by the kind comments Phyllis Hess and Lynn Slackman have made regarding my first Journal issue.  Lynn has even posted the issue cover on the ADS website.  That said, I must point out that while we all enjoy having comments lavished upon something for which we have labored, most of us are generally our biggest critics and fail to see things quite the way others might.

Yesterday afternoon, the printing company phoned me while I was at the doctor’s office with my mother for one of her routine follow-ups.  They wanted to know what I thought of the magazine.  And a visit with the doctor that should take an hour always ends up being 2 1/2 hours.  (What’s up with that, anyway?)  Got home just in time to eat dinner before rushing off to church.  I barely got a good glimpse of one of the magazine issues that had been delivered by FEDEX yesterday.  As I finally thumbed through the pages last night, I was thankful for my nitpicking, thankful that I had made sure to include the extra “n” in Marilynn Howe’s first name or double-checked that botanical names had been italicized.

As they say, sometimes you can’t see the forest for the trees, and I soon realized I had been guilty of that in the last days prior to going to press.  Because a glaring error stared me right in the face last night.   I’m surprised someone hasn’t already e-mailed me about it!  As my layout guy and I felt immense pressure to fit everything into a number of pages divisible by 16, we found ourselves struggling at the end.  We initially had 78, if I recall.  We added a page of photographs from Little Rock and shuffled things around to create an 80-page magazine.  It would have been considerably cheaper to have printed 96 pages instead of 82 or 78!   So you can imagine the fix I was in!  After much scrutiny of the final product, I had given everything the go-ahead.  Off to the the printer it went.

I had felt pretty good about the magazine until late last night.  Then I decided to take another look at a story in particular and turned to the Table of Contents only to discover that every article from page 294 forward is incorrectly numbered in the Contents, obviously due to our shuffling content around and failing to double-check the Table of Contents’ page numbers!  To say that I am thoroughly embarrassed about this is an understatement.  I’ve seen this in other magazines, and I find it annoying.

It could be argued that my designer failed to see it as well, but it was my job to check everything.  I, not my designer, answers to the ADS.  I overlooked this one as we came down to the wire.  So I own it.  It was unprofessional on my part, and I apologize for such a ridiculous mistake.  Do bear with me as we move forward.  I’ll see to it this doesn’t become a habit!

Greg Freeman

Editor, The Daffodil Journal

13 responses to “The Daffodil Journal, June 2014”

1. Harold Koopowitz, California Harold Koopowitz, California says:

Greg:

It is almost impossible to publish hard copy without a few typos. Do not fret. Its a learning process. I have not seen it yet and am waiting with baited breath 🙂

Harold

2. Mary Lou Gripshover, Ohio Mary Lou Gripshover, Ohio says:

Early on in my tenure as Editor, Roberta Watrous sent me the following (or something very similar):

Ode to the Typographical Error (author unknown)

The typographical error is a slippery thing and sly;

You can hunt till you are dizzy, but it somehow will get by.

Till the forms are on the press, it is strange how still it keeps.

It shrinks down in a corner, and it never stirs or peeps –

That typographical error, too small for human eyes –

Till the ink is on the paper, when it grows to mountain size.

The boss, he stares with horror, then he grabs his hair and groans;

The copyreader drops his head upon his hands and moans.

The remainder of the issue may be clean as clean can be,

But the typographical error is the only thing you see.

So, Greg, don’t sweat the small stuff.  🙂   Looking forward to the Journal.

Mary Lou

3. Loyce McKenzie, Mississippi Loyce McKenzie, Mississippi says:

Greg, what a beautiful and interesting Journal!  And I’m amazed at the speed in which it came to reality!  A June JOURNAL in May!!   I pulled this issue out of the mailbox, and started looking through it, thinking, “I’ll do what I think most people do..look at all the pictures first and then come back and read it cover to cover.” But I couldn’t–the articles were so interesting I read it all. And it is great.Do not worry over typos,which are of very little importance in the total editorial world picture. Don’t even mention–see if anybody notices. (Unless your high school senior English teacher is an ADS member.) I once left an article out of the Table of Contents, and it was written by the current president..who was most understanding.

I’m already looking forward to the next issue!!

Loyce McKenzie

4. Lynn Slackman, Missouri Lynn Slackman, Missouri says:

Greg…I still think you did a fabulous job your first edition of The Daffodil Journal.  I really enjoyed reading it from cover to cover. 🙂

Thanks again…

5. Becky Fox Matthews, Tennessee Becky Fox Matthews, Tennessee says:

I received my Journal yesterday and read it from cover to cover last night.  Great job, Greg!  It’s a good blend of informative and interesting articles and great photos of daffodils and the people who love them.  I enjoyed revisiting the Little Rock Convention (those of you who were there already know that Gary, Bonnie, Char and their team put on a fantastic event!) and I saw more of the show flowers in this issue than I was able to at the time of convention because of all the meetings and events (thanks to Kirby and Tom!).  Also, Christopher Harley’s photographs are exceptional and I hope to see more of his work in future Journals.  Congratulations, Greg, on an excellent first issue!

6. Michael and Lisa Kuduk, Kentucky Michael and Lisa Kuduk, Kentucky says:

I was struck my the layout and the use of complementary backgrounds to set off the photographs. The cover, with the new title font, was exceptionally striking. A+, Greg.

One thing about the size of the Journal – more pages mean more things to put on those pages – so if the Journal is going to be bigger we will need more contributions from the daffodil world. Hopefully some new advertisers will respond to the new format as well.

7. Greg Freeman, South Carolina Greg Freeman, South Carolina says:

Wow!  You guys are too kind!  Thanks so much!

8. Clay Higgins, New Jersey Clay Higgins, North Carolina says:

Hi All,

I have exchanged email with Greg Freeman for years and always tried to get him to our show in Barco, NC.  Never met him until the ADS National in Little Rock at the ADS Judging Class.  I spent some time with him at the class and latter after the judging Greg, and I with Fran viewed the show together and discussed the various winners and classes.   We are absolutely lucky to have a person of Greg’s talent as our editor and fellow daffodils shower, hybridizer, and soon to be judge.  I personally was impressed by Greg as he keeps with our long line of editors that have been first of all well qualified daffodil experts, and excellent editors.  My Daffodil Journal got here, late as normal, and I was very much so impressed.  Keep up the great work Greg.

9. Greg Freeman, South Carolina Greg Freeman, South Carolina says:

Thanks for those comments, Clay.  And don’t feel bad.  My subscription issue has yet to arrive in the mail!

10. Graham Phillips, New Zealand says:

GREG

My brother used to edit a small publication that would manifest those demonic typos.  He once received a critical comment from a eagle eyed consumer. who seem almost pleased to have been so observant. In the next issue he made a statement that went something like this.  For those of you who enjoy discovering typos and editorial ”woopsies’  i have deliberately included several in this edition to enhance your literary experience  – – – enjoy!

Keep up the great work

Graham P.

=

11. Greg Freeman, South Carolina Greg Freeman, South Carolina says:

Thanks, Graham!

12. Robert Darling, Washington DC says:

Great Job Greg!  As all noted above, we looked with delight at the photos and then read it from cover to cover.  Treasure Mary Lou and Roberta’s comment on typos and laugh.  The clean look delights.  Mary and I both look forward to the next issue.

Great work!

Robert

13. David Adams, New Zealand says:

Hi Greg,

Just to advise that my June Journal hasn’t arrived yet nor the one for the Christchurch Daffodil Circle. Strange as we are usually the earliest to receive them.

David Adams