Clay Higgins, New Jersey

Barco, NC Daffodil Show.

March 29, 2015

Categories: Show Results, Shows

We had our show on March 28th amid freezing cold and wintery mix. It was our largest show to date with 941 blooms and 451 exhibits. I had fierce competition from Janet Hickman and Katherine Beale. I don’t have all the pictures as Ken Ferguson was the official photographer but I took a few of my own – but I’m the worse photographer in the world and I will post more pictures when I get the results from Ken. The best in show was Pacific Rim 2Y-YYR. Pacific rim best in showThe best 3 stems was Williamsburg 2W-W Williamsburg white ribbonshown by Peter Timms of Snowy cold Boston and Wilmington, NC, the same as he did last year. The Purple Ribbon was won by Janet Hickman with the Red/Orange Cup Collection.Purple ribbon orange red cup collection I’ll have to post the names later when I get the show report back from our Awards Chairperson. Another entry I’m adding is the Best Three Stems Intermediate daffodils Nikki Koko 2W-GYP one of my introductions. Nikki koko w gypMore to follow.

Pin It

7 Responses to Barco, NC Daffodil Show.

1. Stephen Vinisky, Oregon
    Stephen Vinisky, Oregon
    March 29, 2015 at 7:41 am

Congratulations to all the exhibitors at the Barco, NC show! Clay really nice to see your winning Vase of 3 Intermediate seedlings. Congratulations!

Steve

2. Bob Spotts, California
    Bob Spotts, California
    March 29, 2015 at 9:16 am

Kudos to the Barco exhibitors, and to the Show Chair, for such a beautiful display of daffodils despite the incredibly inclement weather!

3. Clay Higgins, New Jersey
    Clay Higgins, New Jersey
    March 29, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Thanks for the comments Bob and Steve. Each year I worry myself sick that we are going to have enough blooms for the judge’s effort of coming to the show. This year with all the cold the locals were just waiting for an excuse to get out of the house. We had a very large turn-out of locals – mostly small growers – who like to enter small growers, historics, classics, and Novice Sections. We had a large turnout in these sections nearly half of the show. On Saturday morning I had a half dozen people come to me and tell me my Polly’s Pearl 8W-W was dead on the show floor. I revived it before judging and it won a blue ribbon. Not mouth to mouth, but cut stems and fresh water. I don’t know how to add a picture here. If I could I’d show you a picture of the exhibit and the blue ribbon.

4. Phyllis Hess, Ohio
    Phyllis Hess, Ohio
    March 29, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Congrats to all the exhibitors at the Barco show; valiant effort and good number of blooms!!

5. Janet Hickman, Virginia
    March 29, 2015 at 7:22 pm

It was, indeed, a well supported show expertly run by Fran and Clay with the help of many Master Gardeners.  Especially noteworthy was the high number of local exhibitors.  They have been mentored by Clay and other ADS members and have become successful and eager exhibitors.

6. David Adams, New Zealand
    March 31, 2015 at 2:00 am

It is good to see more shows than previously being reported. Thanks Clay for being one of the reporters.

Dave

7. Clay Higgins, New Jersey
    Clay Higgins, New Jersey
    March 31, 2015 at 4:24 pm

Janet, and David,

Thanks for the kind words.