Ross Hornsby, Alabama

Introduction

March 20, 2019

Categories: Breeding, Daffodil Enthusiasts, General, Hybridizing

Hello everyone, my name is Ross, and I’m new to Daffnet and thought I’d introduce myself. I live in central Alabama and have been growing daffodils for about 15 years. I found Daffnet while researching N. viridiflorus and was fascinated by all the photos and hybridizing work and research presented here. I joined the ADS two years ago. I’m interested in breeding and photographing daffodils and connecting with other daffodil enthusiasts. So far, I’ve raised three generations of different strains of N. jonquilla with various shapes and bloom times, but due to frequent moves and poor record-keeping, lost all information about them. I also have some standard daffodils in their second year. I have a permanent place to grow daffodils now, and plan to be more systematic about my breeding and record-keeping. I look forward to reading and learning about others’ work and research.

6 responses to “Introduction”

1. Harold Koopowitz, California Harold Koopowitz, California says:

Welcome Ross. In your region you should be able to grow tazettas.  I will have excess seed this year and will be happy to share some with you iof you are interested. let me know.

Harold

2. Mary Lou Gripshover, Ohio Mary Lou Gripshover, Ohio says:

Welcome, Ross.  I look forward to hearing about your seedlings in the future.

Mary Lou

3. Ross Hornsby, Alabama Ross Hornsby, Alabama says:

Thank you both. Harold, I would love to try some of your tazetta seeds.

Ross

4. Bradley McCarson, South Carolina Bradley McCarson, South Carolina says:

Welcome Ross, I am in SC and breed Tazettas mostly. Feel free to email me if you’d like to discuss daffodils  title=.

Harold, if you have extra seeds I would love to try some here in SC.

, Bradley

5. Harold Koopowitz, California Harold Koopowitz, California says:

Ross and Bradley:

You will need to remind me in about a months time.

Harold

6. Becky Fox Matthews, Tennessee Becky Fox Matthews, Tennessee says:

Hi, Ross, I live near Nashville, TN and grow N. jonquilla and several other species from a variety of sources. I love that the N. jonquilla from different sources (“Copperhead”, “Early FM 992”, “Early Louisiana”) bloom at different times and I also have N. fernandesii var. cordubensis, N. fernandesii var. fernandesii, and N. jonquilla var. henriquesii. They all seem to clump up well here so would be willing to share or swap some when I dig. My email is  title=.

Hi, Bradley, do N. jonquilla do well for you in SC as well?