A new seedling of Bob Spotts named

May 27, 2014

Categories: Daffodil Types, Hybridizer, Hybridizing, Seedling, Standards

Babar This is an all white jonquilla hybrid seedling  sent to me by Bob Spotts for evaluation.  It opens in late midseason here.  The plant grows well and produces lots of blooms.  He has proposed the name ‘Babar’ for this cultivar

6 responses to “A new seedling of Bob Spotts named”

1. Harold Koopowitz, California Harold Koopowitz, California says:

Very nice. Hope it is fertile.

What is the derivation of the name?

2. Bob Spotts, California Bob Spotts, California says:

Babar the little elephant is a fictional character from the 1931 French children’s book Histoire de Babar by Jean de Brunhoff. My niece Barbara received this nickname as a child. The cultivar carries her nickname as an honor of her valiant fight against cancer.

3. Greg Freeman, South Carolina Greg Freeman, South Carolina says:

NIce!  And it’s always great to hear the explanation behind the name, in this case a very honorable one.

Greg

4. Bob Spotts, California Bob Spotts, California says:

Sadly, today my niece Barbara (“Babar”) lost her battle against cancer.

5. Larry Force, Mississippi Larry Force, Mississippi says:

Bob,

So sorry to hear this. I know very well what you and her family have been going through. Sincere condolences  to you all.

Sincerely,

Larry

6. Ben Blake, California Ben Blake, California says:

Nancy and I saw Bob’s new all white jonquilla hybrid seedling this season and hoped Bob would register it.  I think we are fortunate to be able to visit hybridizers like Bob in our home area and also Harold Koopowitz in southern California and see their new hybrids which typically involve species pollen.