Pannill Award ‘Homestead’ 2

May 28, 2016

Categories: Daffodil Awards, Daffodil Types

Joe Hamm, Pennsylvania

I maintain an ADS Pannill Award and a ADS Wister Award in my ADS Approved Display Garden.  I have tried for several years now trying to acquire Pannill’s ‘Homestead’ 2 W-W. Oversea Sources and other commercial sources in the States seem not to be growing this in their stock.

It would be nice to acquire at least there bulbs to be grown in the Pannill Award bed, but then if it is not readly available, why is it still on the List?

The other question, why should  I acknowledge it if the Public cannnot readly purchase it?

Joe Hamm,

Washington, PA, 15301-7702

7 Responses to Pannill Award ‘Homestead’ 2

1. Robert Moore, Scotland
    Robert Moore, Scotland
    May 29, 2016 at 12:07 am

Ringhaddy stocks it, I bought some last year and am delighted to have it.

2. David Adams, New Zealand
    May 29, 2016 at 3:37 am

Hi Joe,

I believe that I still have a stock of Homestead. It just that on a cold winter’s night I’m not going out to check.

Dave

3. Clay Higgins, New Jersey
    Clay Higgins, New Jersey
    May 29, 2016 at 9:38 am

Hi Joe,

I found Homestead 2W-W as a “hard keeper” when I was in Maryland.  Impossible to keep in NE NC as whites don’t like HOT.  Maybe that’s why they are not that available.  I don’t see Gull in many catalogs either, and from my stand point, for the same reason.

4. Joe Hamm, Pennsylvania
    May 31, 2016 at 7:21 am

Joe Hamm, Pennsylvania

‘Homestead’ is available from Ringhaddy, thank you Bob Huseman with the WDS group. I guess I just went through Nail Watson’s offering too fast and missed it.

It is great to belong to a group that looks after each other,

Joe Hamm, Washington Pennsylvania

5. Janet Loyd, Georgia
    Janet Loyd, Georgia
    May 31, 2016 at 8:51 am

Clay; your right about the “whites” the only ones I’ve had success with are the older varieties like Mt. Hood & Beersheba. Broomhill & Stainless also do well here but both are very late varieties. In Fayetteville Ga., my zone is 8a, I swear it used to be 7b somewhere they changed it or our temps increasing. Same with the poets I can’t get them to stay more than 2 seasons. I have had luck with one, again a very old type ‘Ornatus’. This is one of the reasons I’ve moved more toward the miniatures the whites do much better. In fact, overall, I’ve been able to keep all the miniatures longer. Your chemistry lesson post was cute. I’m trying my hand at seeds too. I think it must be a natural progression for us daffodil types. I’ve had very good luck starting other type seeds, the challenge should keep things interesting.

6. Ceci Brown, Virginia
    July 2, 2016 at 6:08 pm

I can give you some Pannill bulbs next year… lara, homestead, daiquiri
    and more.

Ceci

7. Clay Higgins, New Jersey
    Clay Higgins, New Jersey
    July 3, 2016 at 6:30 am

Janet,

Are you a member of the Georgia Daffodil Society?  I had a great time this Spring at the Daffodil show and was surprised at the high number of very good miniatures shown by the members.

I don’t have much luck growing white daffodils here at my location.  I thought I was in 7b as well, however, I have to plant as if in 8a.  Maybe it is the long, long, hot, hot summers here.

Ceci made you a nice offer.  She is located a little north of me but knows her daffodils and is a strong competitor on the show bench.